Configuration Profile Scope?

fsjjeff
Contributor II

I'm finally getting around to migrating to Configuration Profiles from Golden Triangle MCX, but having some problems with implementation that I'm hoping someone can clarify...

Trying to boil this down to be as simple to follow as possible:

I want teacher and students to be able to log onto any computer and get slightly different settings depending on their group membership - I'm keeping it simple for testing by limiting profiles to Dock settings (1 each for teachers and students) and Application restrictions for students only.

I'm using a test JSS with only a couple of computers enrolled for simplicity.
I have scoped the Teacher Dock profile to a Teachers static user group and All computers.
I have scoped the Student Dock profile, and App Restrictions profile to a Students Static User Group and All computers.

All the users are coming from Active Directory, and defined in Static User groups in JSS as Student or Teacher.

I would expect that if I logged onto a teacher account, I should get the settings assigned to teacher (in this case the Dock), and if I logged onto the student I would get the student Dock and app restrictions.

Unfortunately what I'm seeing is that the teacher usually gets their Dock (sometimes they get the student dock though) and nearly always also gets the student app restrictions.

Is there a way to make sure these settings don't cross Scopes? Am I missing something stupid? Or does this functionality really just not exist?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@fsjjeff

You may need to adjust your execemptions list

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@fsjjeff

You may need to adjust your execemptions list

fsjjeff
Contributor II

@LSinNY, I did some playing around and it looks like the trick was to leverage the Scope Limitations and target the AD groups I wanted. Thanks for the pointer, not sure why I never thought to try that.