Skip to main content
Jamf Nation, hosted by Jamf, is a dynamic and knowledgeable community of Apple-focused IT admins and Jamf Pro users. Join us in person, in October, for the annual Jamf Nation User Conference (JNUC) to discover new and better ways to manage Apple devices.
CCT Badge

Options not matching between smart groups and querries

Just making sure I'm not the only one seeing this...

When setting up a static query ("Advanced Computer Search"), I have the criteria for "Managed". This lets me select managed, or unmanaged.

When setting up a smart group, I only have "Managed by:"... with the options for blank or our management account. End result is likely the same, but seems like a bug to me... I'm simply trying to set up queries that omit unmanaged machines.

Like Comment
CCA Badge
SOLVED Posted: 4/20/17 at 5:29 PM by mm2270

Not a bug. Smart Groups can only contain managed devices by default, so when building a Smart Group it doesn't give you the "Managed" yes/no options since that wouldn't make any sense. A Smart Group by design can't really gather unmanaged Macs in it's group membership.

CCT Badge
SOLVED Posted: 4/21/17 at 9:52 AM by Taylor.Armstrong

THANK you! Was driving me up the wall from the inconsistency, but I didn't realize unmanaged machines were automatically dropped out of the smart groups. That crosses a couple of "cleanup" tasks off my to-do list thinking I needed to go through and clean up some groups manually.