Script or Profiles for Skipping Setup Assistants in Sierra

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Running through testing our upcoming deployment of Sierra Upgrades via Self Service as well as preparing for new laptops being delivered in a few weeks. Wondering if I could get some recommendations on how to skip the setup assistants for iCloud, Apple IDs, siri etc. First boot scripts or profiles? Been reading through Jamf Nation but most of it is based on El Cap, I've read so much over the last 24 hours I think I'm starting to confuse myself!

2 REPLIES 2

apizz
Valued Contributor

@TomDay If you are on the latest version of the JSS, you should be able to skip the setup assistant prompts via configuration profile. We're still several versions back, but my understanding is that there are now checkboxes to disable things like iCloud Drive, iCloud Desktop & Documents, and a few others.

While there are some differences and additional features between OSs, most things that work one OS back (like El Cap) will typically work with the current (Sierra).

If you're like us and aren't on the most recent version of the JSS, you can still use profiles but will have to create some PLISTs in order to configure the applicable preferences and get them uploaded in the JSS (Custom Payloads in Config Profiles).

I personally prefer profiles because they're easier to apply and remove as needed, plus it prohibits the preferences you set from being changed by users. Give Rich Trouton's blog posts on these topics a look:

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@aporlebeke Thx, we just updated to 9.98 late last week, so I'll go through the documentation ASAP. Spent a lot of time on Rich's blog for sure :-)

I'll be playing more with this all day!