Upload a list of Users Not LDAP

EduTech
New Contributor III

Is there a way to upload a list of users, not LDAP? Say using a csv or excel file?

10 REPLIES 10

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Upload them to where exactly? To the Users section? It's not completely clear what you're trying to do. If you explain, it may be easier to get you an answer.

EduTech
New Contributor III

Yes instead of manually creating all users in JAMF directly - it would be great if I could just upload a list of staff to JAMF. I believe Meraki allowed me to do that.

mm2270

Ok, that's what I thought. So the short answer is, no, I don't think there is a way to do that, at least not directly in the JSS UI. Though you could look at some of the tools developed by folks out there to see if they can do that. One to look at it called JSS MUT. I don't know for sure if it can create new users. It was designed mostly for updating records, but maybe it can also create them. Work looking at.

If it can't do it, there is surely a way to do this via an API script that can take input from a csv file for the data. I just don't have one that can do that built since I don't have a need for one myself.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I use a script created by Matt Levenick (a jamf) that uploads directly to the device record from my laptop.
I use it for putting ldap usernames on iPads and then the device does the ldap lookup to fill the record.
It looks to me like it will do what you're asking.

Script named massUpdate.sh

Attached are the attributes that it will match to serial number from a csv

af0dd0c92766434db39c104591dae739
4289cd80384d4afa8db34f342288f001

mm2270

@Sandy Does that script create new User records where there isn't one, or is it just for updating existing iOS or computer records with user information? It almost sounds like the latter not the former, but I don't know.
Also, you mentioned the device does the LDAP lookup, but unless I'm mistaken @EduTech is looking for something that doesn't rely on LDAP.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Right, for MY purposes I upload just a username to the username field in an iOS device record. At next inventory the LDAP lookup fills in the rest.

You'll notice on the screenshots however that all those fields listed can be uploaded using this script.

Since I do not use it that way I do not know the specifics of the csv: when it uploads one field at a time, how do you format your csv if you want to populate multiple user fields?

But I do know the script uses the API and it is super quick and easy to use :)

EDIT: Also, once you upload or enter a username on a device, I believe the JSS then creates the User (in Users) dynamically.
And the only function of Users, I think... is when they are assigned to devices, Yes?

agirardi3
New Contributor

If the goal is to attach users to devices using the MUT it will create the JSS users if they do not yet exist. If you are just trying to create users in the JSS, I have not used the MUT for those purposes.

agirardi3
New Contributor

If the goal is to attach users to devices using the MUT it will create the JSS users if they do not yet exist. If you are just trying to create users in the JSS, I have not used the MUT for those purposes.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I see the "The MUT" is maybe my script "All Growed Up!"

conitsupport
Contributor

At present we have on site controllers but are looking at cloud controller on next update of licenses, our LEA wont allow direct connections from public internet into schools so we use smoothwall and a dmz box for AD authentication, unfortunately this use NAT and JIM does not work with NAT so we cant use that to get AD authentication.

So I need to get my users onto the JAMF cloud in bulk. Ive looked at using Apple School Manager but that is to long winded to do every time we have new users / leavers etc.

We only use iPads just want to be able to to link them to the user account as we do now on enrollment / DEP deployment.

I see the script above but it looks like its only for macs (we are windows and ipads)