Workflow for DEP/Prestage Enrollment

ardrake
New Contributor III

Looking for a little help setting up a workflow for enrolling and configuring Macs via PreStage Enrollment.

Here's what I want to have happen: New Mac boots to Setup Assistant, picks up assignment from DEP, enrolls via PreStage Enrollment, runs a few scripts (set hostname via DNS, set time zone and NTP server, etc.), bind to Active Directory, and install a few packages.

Right now my test machine is listed in DEP, and the test PreStage Enrollment scoped to that machine. After first boot, the Setup Assistant starts, I enter country and keyboard layout, and the PreStage Enrollment picks up the assignment from DEP, and starts enrolling the computer. I say it "starts" enrolling the computer because it populates as "DEP - SERIALNUMBER" in the inventory as an unmanaged device, and does not appear to install the Jamf client. The computer does not show up in the Smart Group I created for new Macs enrolled via the PreStage Enrollment and the process is halted until I log in with the local admin account I configured in the PreStage Enrollment settings.

This doesn't sound like something that should be beyond the capabilities of the JSS, so I'm hopeful that it's just something I haven't figured out yet. Any help with creating this workflow correctly would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

ardrake
New Contributor III

Confirmed that the Jamf client does not install until after I log in with the local admin account.