Church Fleet/Jamf Implementation

wonderbiscuit
New Contributor

I was wondering if any of you use Jamf for your church setting, and what that looks like in regards to the specs of your machines per ministry/staff position, how you implement Jamf throughout your locations/campuses, or any other general tips or advice into all of that. We are a multisite church with 9 locations, with a current fleet of ~55-60 iMacs, ~70-75 MacBooks, and ~35-40 iPads.

Or if I could just pick your brains on how you guys got into Jamf, who runs it for you, or anything else that would be great! Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

swolosin
New Contributor III

What your doing is no different than any other fleet. What your wondering is how best to organize your jss so you can deploy specific policies and/or configurations. You'll find out quickly that there's usually more than one way to do the same thing. It comes down to personal preferences and experience. To make it easy I would start off by adding the 9 locations into the All Settings>Network Organization>Buildings. Depending on the company needs, buildings can be locations. From there you can make smart groups to specify specific buildings in a location. Then I would make a All Settings>Network Organization>Departments. So things like Pastoral Staff, Music Department and so on. Doing this will set you up for success in organizing your JSS, better smart groups and mass deployment. There's a ton more so certifications would be very helpful. If you need more info I'm always down to help a fellow musician/worship leader. I work out of North Jersey and if you want, you can reach me anytime on slack @swolosin

swolosin
New Contributor III

I forgot to mention this but there are companies that outsource their JSS. https://www.hcsonline.com/jamf is one group I can think of that will run the JSS for you. I have no idea how much it costs but the option exists.

anickless
Contributor II

School, Enterprise, SMB, non-profits, all can be thought of in similar ways. I admin a school district, each school has its own site and I made departments when they make sense.

So I would say from a JSS position mirror your organization in a logical way. you can't go wrong with that. I got into jamf because that is what was here when I started but it was broken so I ripped evreything out and started from scratch, now I went from 100 laptops to 100's of laptops and 100's of iPads.