Chrome 59 gotchas?

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I see that Chrome 59 is out now. Has anyone jumped in and discovered any new pitfalls? Any new surprises that Google has decided to drop on us that will break functionality with existing websites? My Windows colleagues and I are pretty tired of running around with our hair on fire every time Chrome introduces new measures to "make our lives happy and secure". What obscure blog post from 8 months ago do we have to refer to in order for Google to say "We told you this change was coming."?

3 REPLIES 3

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@AVmcclint You can run in the beta channel and get access to the releases early for you and your team to test before they're public. We've been pushing latest Chrome for years and have yet to run into something disastrous. I was happy to move from FF as so many Chrome things can be controlled via profile.

Cornoir
Contributor II

My experience with Google Chrome 57 and above is that they have configured it in such a way as to ignore the previous Master Preferences and other ways to configured Chrome as listed in their latest documentation (i.e, manifest file).

The only sure thing I have done that has worked mostly is creating a configuration profile for the policies listed here:
https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3

However certain settings can not controlled via a configuration profile, items such as;
Do not Track
Ask where to save prompt
Uncheck show notifications when new printers are detected

These settings are listed in the user's /Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Preferences file.
However manually editing the settings listed in this file do not affect any changes or will return an error.

Cornoir
Contributor II

My experience with Google Chrome 57 and above is that they have configured it in such a way as to ignore the previous Master Preferences and other ways to configured Chrome as listed in their latest documentation (i.e, manifest file).

The only sure thing I have done that has worked mostly is creating a configuration profile for the policies listed here:
https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3

However certain settings can not controlled via a configuration profile, items such as;
Do not Track
Ask where to save prompt
Uncheck show notifications when new printers are detected

These settings are listed in the user's /Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Preferences file.
However manually editing the settings listed in this file do not affect any changes or will return an error.