Modulair Imaging with Casper Imaging with macOS High Sierra

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi !

Currently we are deploying macOS Sierra through modular imaging with Casper Imaging.
We boot a MacBook with a external HDD with an macOS & Casper Imaging on it, then we call in or deployment set with a base OS created with AUTODMG, a couple of scripts and a bunch of software / policies like filevault etc.

I am curious what happens when macOS High Sierra comes to the daylight, we have a macOS High Sierra test deployment and seems to be fine, but it deploys the image on HFS+ and not with the APFS.

JAMF suggest to step over to DEP, we also have a test deployment for that but currently we like the first method more comfortable in our organisation.

Does anyone have tips / information / idea's about modular imaging in combination with macOS High Sierra

Thank you for reading my discussion!

Greetings,
Thijs Xhaflaire

10 REPLIES 10

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Have a workflow where you enroll the computer into the JSS and the computer gets the software it needs to get from the JSS. You can do this with DEP or even with Casper Imaging.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

We can't do DEP (long story, easier if you don't ask) but I'm looking at a couple different workflows that involve installing the OS "offline".

1. Ideally, I'll figure out how to get it going with Casper Imaging some time before Jamf Pro 10 (I think I could only do this with HFS+ today)
  2. Use an external drive with createinstallmedia for base OS, then A. Run Casper Imaging sans OS image, or B. Run quick-add to enroll and trigger installs/policies on enrollment

I know imaging is very likely to produce bad results anymore, so I want to get away from it. I'm looking forward to the solution Jamf hints at in the release notes:

In a future release of the Casper Suite, Casper Imaging will support re-provisioning a macOS 10.13 computer with up-to-date firmware using an imaging workflow.

bsuggett
Contributor II

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/25970/imagine-high-sierra-without-firmware-update-on-jhfs+-possible

dustink
New Contributor II

We are using jamf imaging for High Sierra. what we did was:

1. I created an HFS High Sierra image using AutoDMG
  2. Placed a script in casper imaging and set it to "before" that re-formats the HD from the APFS which it comes stock with to jHFS+
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/sbin/diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk0 1 GPTFormat jhfs+ "Macintosh HD" 100%
    sleep 10
    echo "Disk0 has been re-partitioned."
  3. Also place another script to run at reboot that creates the recovery partition.
    #!/bin/sh
    # Erase the Recovery HD partition and format it with HFS+ and rename it to "ErasedRecovery HD"
    /usr/sbin/diskutil eraseVolume HFS+ "ErasedRecovery HD" /dev/disk0s3
    # Unmount the "ErasedRecovery HD" partition
    /usr/sbin/diskutil unmount /dev/disk0s3
    # Make the "ErasedRecovery HD" partition a Apple_Boot partition and will automatically get hidden
    /usr/sbin/asr adjust -target /dev/disk0s3 -settype Apple_Boot
    exit 0
  4. Casper imaging lays down the image and works just like Sierra.

we do occasionally get the Adobe install login screen, but i think that is a JAMF issues

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

We are still on Sierra and downgrading any new equipment coming in, but know its a matter of time before hardware is firmware locked.
So we will be moving forward with the following workflow:

1. iMagr 10.13.x Netinstall.nbi which:
    a. formats drive to APFS
    b. caches: JAMF Quickadd.pkg,localadmin.pkg,firstboot.pkg
    c. installs a fresh copy of 10.13.x
    d. reboots, installs cached packages,runs first boot script including installing software via policies
    e. skip step a. for Thin Provisioning

2. May add a script to take a snapshot for quick restore when endpoints are repurposed

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@Nix4Life wrote:

We are still on Sierra and downgrading any new equipment coming in,

and

May add script to take a snapshot for quick restore when endpoints are repurposed.

91760245dde845ad8b3d87cd4710b197

^^^ Not going there, leaving that to the usual "holier than thou" suspects on this forum. :)

For new machines, most of us don't touch the installed macOS, as per Apple's recommendations, and build your workflow around it.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@donmontalvo We needed to downgrade a total of 3 for this client, while figuring out deployments,FV,Citrix HIPPA,PHI and few other things. It's going to be a controlled roll to Hi-C...did you enjoy Coco

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for sharing @Nix4Life

iMagr 10.13.x Netinstall.nbi which: a. formats drive to APFS b. caches: JAMF Quickadd.pkg,localadmin.pkg,firstboot.pkg c. installs a fresh copy of 10.13.x d. reboots, installs cached packages,runs first boot script including installing software via policies e. skip step a. for Thin Provisioning May add script to take a snapshot for quick restore when endpoints are repurposed

In my opinion, jamf should support this type of workflow to get customers to APFS, latest firmware, and 10.13.x. I understand the need to move to DEP provisioning, but customers need a way to wipe and reload the OS when needed. Internet recovery isn't an option here, we deal with thousands of machines in students hands and it takes too long.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@Nix4Life OMG Coco was awesome.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@CasperSally Oh yea! Right now we're contemplating changing over from Casper Imaging for this very reason. I'd prefer to keep it all under JAMF but...