Can you enroll a Regular Ipad mini into DEP?

Asnyder
Contributor III

I've been trying to enroll an Ipad mini (1) into DEP but it will not take the serial number. I've tried just supervising it with configurator and it throws and error as well:

Failed to create activation request. [com.apple.MobileActivation.ErrorDomain – 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFE (-2) [sys = 0x3F, sub = 0xFFF, code = 0x3FFE (16382)]]

I thought all devices 2012 and after should work in DEP?

7ce33150da034b7fab232e0a1a7a1f0c

3 REPLIES 3

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Since the original iPad mini will not run iOS 11, the device would need to have been purchased by your organization from Apple, or an authorized reseller (the reseller would need to have then transferred the device to you). You would then be able to assign the device to an MDM record in Apple Deployment Programs or Apple School Manager.

Only device capable of running iOS 11 can be provisionally added to DEP using this method.

Asnyder
Contributor III

@jcarr Thanks for the response. That's odd as all my other devices that will not run IOS 11 can be added just fine. All of our apple purchases go through Apple. I'll give them a call.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Like @Asnyder , we buy all of her iPads direct from Apple so in general I don’t have to go through shoehorning them in with configurator, that being said, All of our iPads back to iPad 2 are DEP capable.