Push iOS app install to a single device?

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

Is there any way to just push out an install/reinstall of an app to a single device?

9 REPLIES 9

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

When you add the app to the catalog, scope it to a single device (either with install automatically or Self service whichever you choose)

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

It's an app that 500+ iPads use, and I don't want it to auto install on them all.

MattAebly
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Ryan,

Try excluding this device from the app, wait for the removal command to process, and then remove the exclusion of this device from the app. That will push it back out to this single device.

Thanks Matt! That worked perfectly.

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

Hey Matt,

Wouldn't I need auto install enabled for the app for that to work?

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

If you are trying to “re-add” it to a single device, exclude the one iPad, verify it dropped off and then remove the exclusion

galionschools
Contributor

@ryan.bender Is this app set to install automatically or via Self Service? The way I read it in your response above is that the app is a Self Service only install. You could always create a duplicate app in the catalog but set it to install automatically and scope this one device.

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

It's Self Service only. In our previous MDM (just got Jamf over the summer) we could push out installs to individual devices.

qhle373
Contributor

Apps deployed to Self Service can be re-installed by visiting Self Service, tap on the app, then tap Reinstall. If you are wanting a clean copy, user can delete the app first. If you disallow app removal at your org (like we do) exclude the device from restriction, have user delete the app, then get a fresh copy.