Self Service branded icon not sticking

pandrum
New Contributor III

The branded Self Service icon is not "sticking" on a lot of our clients. The icon works when the program is open, but as soon its closed it reverts back to Jamf standard Self Service icon. Both in dock and under /Applications.

Is this a common issue? This creates some confusion amongst our users.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @pandrum I had the same issue.

Apparently there is a product issue with self service. After talking with Jamf support, we had to run this command on the clients;

sudo chmod 775 /Applications/Madison College Self Service.app/

This would change the permissions so the self service app could begin receiving the branding of the icon. This so far has worked great for us. You would obviously change to the name of your self service application. We had ours set to Madison College Self Service.

After running this command, on the second subsequent use of self service, the icon would change and be set to go.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @pandrum I had the same issue.

Apparently there is a product issue with self service. After talking with Jamf support, we had to run this command on the clients;

sudo chmod 775 /Applications/Madison College Self Service.app/

This would change the permissions so the self service app could begin receiving the branding of the icon. This so far has worked great for us. You would obviously change to the name of your self service application. We had ours set to Madison College Self Service.

After running this command, on the second subsequent use of self service, the icon would change and be set to go.

scottb
Honored Contributor

We run a policy with a script as @mconners posted above at enrollment.
Works great.

pandrum
New Contributor III

@mconners This worked very well, thanks mate.

bartlomiejsojka
Contributor
Contributor

I would add to that, that since the custom icon gets fetched upon first launch of the Self Service app, it's a good idea to open it on behalf of the user during the enrollment. Especially if you plan to add it to users' Dock.

In one environment that uses fullscreen Splash I'm running these as soon as the Splash launches:

consoleUser=$(stat -f%Su /dev/console)
sudo -u "${consoleUser}" open /Applications/Self Service.app
sudo -u "${consoleUser}" osascript -e 'tell application "Finder"' -e 'set visible of process "Self Service" to false' -e 'end tell'

and then at the end of the enrollment, just before killing the Splash, I'm adding Self Service icon to users' Dock.
Works like a charm. If I wouldn't be doing that, the icon would still not be sticking – even with proper permissions – at least until relogin/reboot due to Dock's icon cache.