Jamf Patch Server - Office still on 16.16.x

MatG
Contributor III

Mac Office 16.17 was released last week but JAMF patch server still showing 16.6.x for each application:

Microsoft Outlook 2016 Microsoft Jamf 16.16.18091001

Any idea why?

11 REPLIES 11

jsherwood
Contributor

@MatG - Office for Mac 16.17 is the first of the Office for Mac 2019 releases and also signals the point where Microsoft shift to an N-2 model for macOS support.

Moving forward the patching definitions need to be updated to reflect the change in product naming and I've seen posts and FR's on this over the last couple of days - essentially what (I believe) we need to see now are the following to accurately reflect how the Office product has forked:

• Office for Mac 2016 titles (i.e. versions <= 16.16)
  • Office for Mac 2019 titles (i.e. versions >= 16.17)
  • Office 365 for Mac titles

MatG
Contributor III

Just updated my Autopkg recipes with the O365 versions.

Just need JAMF now to sort out the Definitions in Patch Management

MatG
Contributor III

Up voted both :)

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@MatG Like to share the recipes?

MatG
Contributor III

Sure, I use rtroutons - https://github.com/autopkg/rtrouton-recipes

Also I noticed that Brysons Community Patch server tehBob has added 16.17.x definitions, JAMF a bit slow here.
https://beta2.communitypatch.com

talkingmoose

Hi folks!

Just giving you a quick unofficial update on Jamf Pro and patch definitions.

Because Microsoft Office for Mac transitioned this month from the "2016" generation to the "2019" generation, the versions are now forked for a while. That means going forward some folks remaining with the "2016" generation will see "16.16.1", "16.16.2", etc., while others moving to the "2019" generation will see "16.17", "16.18", etc.

We've had to evaluate how to handle the change and how best to present it to you in Jamf Pro. The engineer working on this hopes to get this resolved very soon. Patch definitions come from our jamf-patch server (they're not built-in to Jamf Pro), which means you should see the updates in your Jamf Pro servers shortly after we update here.

We'll post an announcement about the new definitions here on Jamf Nation.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@talkingmoose Hero you are!, and also kudo's for the engineering team!

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Can we get an update to the Sophos patch definitions while you're at it? My clients have been at Sophos 9.7.x for some time now but Jamf's patch definitions show 9.6.7 as the "latest".

talkingmoose

@damienbarrett, looks like Sophos had a name change and the patch definition was split to accommodate the old name with the older versions and the new name with the newer versions.

c8afc3c1dddc496390f2694e868d7ad8

dpratl
Contributor II

Hi all,

will there be a possibility to choose which Office Version path I want to use for Patch Management?
We don't have a license for 2019, only 2016.

Thanks
BR
Daniel