Uploading packages to multiple JSS Instances

Cheesewright
New Contributor

I work for a MSP who manage multiple JSS. Is there a workflow for uploading packages to multiple JSS at the same time? Package patch management is a pain especially for multiple environments I'm wondering who other people tackle it.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

pete_c
Contributor III

Having recently acquired a 3rd JSS, I'm also interested in how others have tackled this.

doschupp
New Contributor II

We use AutoPkg and GitLab CI to upload packages to multiple JSS instances.

shortly description

On a manual or scheduled trigger a CI pipeline is started with one or more jobs. If the variable $RECIPE_ID is set, only this recipe will be packaged. If not, a script will be started that triggers a new job for each jss recipe - so any runner (job executer) can grab an autopkg job. When we push a new recipe, we update our package definitions and check if they are valid.

3294417115d049f7802874112ec5b8db
The autopkg_jss_tools.py is an adapted script from the Facebooks CPE team, so it will work with jss and not munki.

how to handle more jss instances

Because we have two separate instances we change the configuration with defaults/plutil matching a new variable $MDM_Server if necessary (run before script). We tried it with symlinks before, but it didn't worked.

c1d69b59596e4cda96073b4a75786304

If you are interested in more details we can publish more on our blog.