Mac os Enterprise Backup Solutions 2019

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

A lot of old posts on this subject. Seeking a solid cloud based enterprise solution for our core Mac OS servers & 2 RHEL Servers. Currently we have redundancy in distributing to another location but we want something 3rd party to rely on as well. Ideal situation would allow for a full backup & restore (Not Just Directory/Folder Backups) - as well as the option to have the backups physically mailed too us.

Currently Looking at Backblaze or Code42. Any recommendations for which product to use as well as others? (I've seen a lot of older posts for Code42)

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month
5 REPLIES 5

Sims_
Contributor

I use Veeam (can be the cloud or on-prem) along with Syncplicity. I do a Time Machine backup of macOS servers/workstations once initial setup/config is complete.

I'd say that Veeam is probably your best best.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Like @jgsims we use Veeam for this type of backup/replication. However, we use Backblaze to host our backups offsite. Our Veeam environment is all on site. We are also a Code42 environment for our endpoints but that's a totally different ballgame. All you're going to get with Code42 is Directory and File backups... by design.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Guys! Checking out Veeam and see how it works with our mix

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

robertliebsch
Contributor

I use Code42, but not fully. I use it predominately for endpoint backups. We get their Documents and Desktop directories, but you are not limited to that. But if you go overboard your restores can take a long time. I also use the restores when upgrading/replacing people's computers, I can install the Code42 client (done with DEP workflow) then login and pull the users data from backup. Again, cloud can slow this down significantly.

Some neat stuff Code42 does is in line with auditing IP, Loss Prevention, and archive retention. They dropped the "Backup Only" when they dropped consumer. Now they are looking a lot more about infosec/legal. Lots of reporting available as well.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

Have a look a Druva, very competitive with the others.
https://www.druva.com