Devices with no Username - Who enrolled the device

simon_brooke
New Contributor III

Hi,

So I have a unique issue. We have iOS devices enrolled into Jamf and part of the end process the device is assigned to a username. The devices are enrolled via DEP and a prestage enrolment.

I am able to pull up a saved search of devices with no username assigned, but i cannot find out who enrolled it. During the prestage enrolment, the username and password is not required, as the passwords for the usernames are not known. The password cannot be reset either.

The only way i can think of is to find out who added the device to the scope of the prestage enrolment. Our Service Desk users are the guys who enrol the devices and i need to be able to give them their list of devices so they can work out where it should be assigned to.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Simon

2 REPLIES 2

Emmert
Valued Contributor

In one of our workflows for setting up staff iPads ahead of time where it's not yet known who it's for, we set up the iPad and enroll it to a generic username, then set it aside in a pile of un-allocated devices. Once we know who it's actually going to, we manually reassign it in the web interface to the now known username.

Is this somewhat similar to what you're doing? I think I've understood the gist of it, but perhaps not. Could you have them enroll them to themselves then change the assigned user later?

simon_brooke
New Contributor III

Hi Emmert,

The devices are store devices, where the stores have AD accounts, but the stores do not know their AD password. If i could find a way to have the iOS devices to show their local IP's i could at least work out which store it has gone to.

If i can't prevent our service desk forgetting to assign it to the user, I need to find a way to get information from it, eg IP address on LAN.