Setting caching server outside DNS requirement

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Curious if anyone has a workaround for cases where machines connect directly to the internet (no NAT) and you are having trouble getting the network group to add the txt record required for the search domain to get the caching server to work. Basically, right now I just want it for one /23 subnet within our /16, but the whole domain zone would have to be altered with the txt record to make it work. =/

Would be nice if Apple exposed the ability to set a caching server via a configuration profile... I see you can configure the content caching server itself via Configuration Profile, but it's annoying you can't just tell the client what server to use. Or to spoof the txt record somehow.

Anyone got any kind of workaround?

2 REPLIES 2

PatrickD
Contributor II

Where is the caching server hosted? Local network or internet?
What kind of devices are we talking? iPads, macOS...

Without more information, I would suggest pointing it to an IP address if you are hosting the server. That way it's not required to query the public DNS server for the address.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Sorry. I'm mainly speaking of macOS at this point. Server would be on campus. But as mentioned, all clients connect directly to internet (no NAT, etc). From Apple's documentation, you have to insert at least one DNS txt entry into the primary search domain zone for the caching server to get it to work (https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/enable-content-cache-discovery-multiple-mchld4ab5cdc/mac).

There does not seem to be a way to point the client directly at the caching server without this.