Mountain Lion and Casper

macguy
New Contributor II

HI all,

Anyone got Casper Admin to recognise Mountain Lion as a valid OS yet? I am an Apple Developer and I must say preview 3 is brilliant, but Casper tools are not yet working.

Would love to hear from anyone who has success stories or other unsuccessful installs.

regards

Karl

16 REPLIES 16

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Interesting. I've been able to distribute it since preview 1. What's getting you?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Do you mean use the Casper apps like Admin and such? Or do you mean manage a machine that's on 10.8?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Do you mean use the Casper apps like Admin and such? Or do you mean manage a machine that's on 10.8?

macguy
New Contributor II

Yes exactly, should of made myself a bit more clear. I am trying to run the management tools from a 10.8 DP3 machine. What happens is as soon as your try to start Casper Admin it tells you that your OS version needs to be 10.4 or greater.

Any ideas anyone?

nessts
Valued Contributor II

erase all your preferences? I ran admin, image and composer on mtn lion yesterday, made an image compiled it. I did have a few packages that did not install. have to look into the cause of that. but i felt it went pretty well.

John_Sutcliffe
New Contributor III

If you're doing testing with Mtn. Lion & Casper don't hesitate to contact support and open a case if you see issues.

While we can't talk specifics about Mtn. Lion in public forums because it is currently under NDA with Apple, we would like all feedback people have on any issues they may be finding using any of the Casper tools with Mtn. Lion.

Or if you find interesting features you'd like us to have a look at we'd also like to hear about that.

Thanks!

John

macguy
New Contributor II

Thanks all for your responses, The version of Casper we were running was 8.34, since upgrading today to 8.52 I can now access all tools via Mountain Lion. I will report any issues that crop up as bug reports.

Once again thanks for everyones input and help.

Regards Karl

nkalister
Valued Contributor

Chris, or anyone else- how are you deploying 10.8 with casper? I can't get casper admin to recognize the installer as an installer . . . Are you using a Composer-captured image?

nessts
Valued Contributor II

i installed to a second partition on a disk, and then captured that with composer.
drawback is that you don't get a recovery partition made, but that is of little concern to me and there are plenty of posts on how to create one if you need it.

justinrummel
Contributor III

10.8 is still under NDA; respect.

Post on Apple's dev forums or ask support directly vs. an open forum.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

pretty sure that nothing said thus far breaks any NDA we have discussed no features or capabilities with the 10.8 software.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

Casper support's only suggestion was to use a composer capture, which I'm not jazzed about, since I do not do my OS deployments that way. Why test a method I'll never use?

And there's absolutely nothing on the official 10.8 dev forums that I've found related to casper . . . if you have found casper-related info there, please share a link!

If anyone does have tips about getting casper admin to recognize the 10.8 installesd.dmg file, you can send me an email privately at nick.kalister(at)hds.com

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III
And there's absolutely nothing on the official 10.8 dev forums that I've found related to casper . . . if you have found casper-related info there, please share a link!

@nkalister Start one and post the link. :) You're risking getting your Dev account pulled...just sayin'...

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

@don

Likely not. Only people that have valid dev accounts would be able to use the link anyway.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

exactly- it's behind the login portal, so no one without authorized access would get in.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@jarednichols @nkalister Yep, that's what I meant...start a thread at developer.apple.com so we can discuss, and to prevent the angry message from Apple. :) I think most folks here have a login to that site, if not it's free and worth having.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com