Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition

krimkus
New Contributor II

I'm looking for feedback regarding the free version of Sophos. We are new to JAMF and are just now setting up our production server and would like to implement virus detection. With 7000 computers in inventory and very limited funds (school district), we are looking for a stable, but cost effective solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I can understand the reasons for wanting an inexpensive yet decent AV client. Unfortunately you're simply not going to end up with an enterprise client for cheap. ClamXAV will handle you I'm sure. Besides, I've always suspected it would handle our needs and I've been a paying Sophos customer for several years. Don't get me wrong, Sophos is some really great stuff. However, 7000 machines licensed for 1yr with Sophos would be about $35K unless there is a bigger volume discount for districts of your size. I only have about 600-800. I certainly understand the hesitance with that kind of investment. Best of luck.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but you'll likely be in violation of the EULA, specifically section 3.2.2:

3.2.2 install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Licensed Product on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device;

Section 3.2.1 mentions "non-commercial" use and while I'm sure an argument can be made that schools (if you're a public institution) aren't commercial, I would think 3.2.2 would get you.

At any rate, the spirit of the EULA is that it's meant for a single home computer. (Heck, it's named "Home Edition.") You may want to instead take a look at the open-source ClamXAV.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Hi

Ive used Sophos for years and i would def recommend them. Open source is ok but if you have a problem especiallly with 7000 machines you are going to need support!

If i were you i would give them a call as see what sort of prices and serivces they can provide for you. Being in education they would most likely offer you a discount.

krimkus
New Contributor II

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the licensing info before I make a recommendation.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I can understand the reasons for wanting an inexpensive yet decent AV client. Unfortunately you're simply not going to end up with an enterprise client for cheap. ClamXAV will handle you I'm sure. Besides, I've always suspected it would handle our needs and I've been a paying Sophos customer for several years. Don't get me wrong, Sophos is some really great stuff. However, 7000 machines licensed for 1yr with Sophos would be about $35K unless there is a bigger volume discount for districts of your size. I only have about 600-800. I certainly understand the hesitance with that kind of investment. Best of luck.

krimkus
New Contributor II

Thanks Chris. With the severe budget cuts to education, it's a challenge to think about spending that kind of money for virus detection on a Mac, but getting caught without it is getting more and more risky. We simply don't have the staffing to deal with problems on this large of a scale. I'll see if I can get the powers that be to think about ClamXAV. Currently they believe that Clam wouldn't respond quickly enough. Do you have a feel for that?

Jared - you were correct, the home version of Sophos prohibits enterprise use.

Thank you!

bazcurtis
New Contributor III

Hi,

I work with Sophos closely in the UK and I know they're very education friendly on licensing. If you can't get contact with them directly them please let me know and I will see what I can do and get someone to talk to you.

Their product is excellent and I have seen their road map (under NDA). It is very positive. We have used it for over 10 years. Support is excellent.

Best wishes

Michael

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Kristi, JAMF has some useful info on automating anti-virus protection...ClamXav is listed as being able to deploy/activate/update/report...

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/products/casper-suite/macosx/settings-and-security-management/automate-a...

Say hi to Reyna for me...it's been a few years since we rode in the NYCC. :)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com