Imaging lockout screen not working in 10.7.4

roiegat
Contributor III

We just got some new macbook air and are expecting some macbook pros as well. The image I have for our current users is 10.7.3. So I got the combo update and added it to the image that got things to 10.7.4. Everything in this case was fine on the old equipement.

So we got our macbook air yesterday and I tried imaging it. Wouldn't boot up after that. So I created a 10.7.4 using another machine and tried again - still wouldn't boot up. So I figured apple's 10.7.4 on their new hardware is newer. So I created a 10.7.4 image from the macbook air.

I then changed the OS on the image configuration and went to re-image a machine. While the end process is ok, after the first reboot it doesn't lock out the screen like normall does.

I locked around and found this nice command:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType fs -description "Installing Apple Software Updates. Your machine will restart when completed." &

But if I create a script for it doesn't seem to work (either as before, after, or after reboot).

So I'm at a loss here to whats going on. I don't want to tell our service pc folks to just stare at the screen for 20 minutes so it can finish. I know half of them will assume it's done and deploy them.

Were currently on JAMF 8.43.

5 REPLIES 5

roiegat
Contributor III

Just imaged another machine and when it rebooted I tried to launch the jamfhelper window via terminal. I connected to it and ran the command and got:

com.jamfsoftware.jamfhelper: Already loaded

So I ran the following:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -kill

Ran the command again and got the same already loaded error. Ran top and didn't see a jamfhelper app running at all.

Any suggestions? It's odd that it's driving me nuts.

roiegat
Contributor III

Ok so after image was done I used the terminal again to run the following:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType fs -description "Installing Apple Software Updates. Your machine will restart when completed." &

This time I got no error and it did lock the screen - but the message couldn't be seen.

So is there another alternative to getting it to work. Anyone know how to kick up that Casper imaging screen somehow?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

This subject has come up several times on the list. The way that loginwindow works, Apple will not allow third party apps run over the login window. That's why running jamfHelper from the Terminal doesn't work.

The way I've found around it, thanks to this list, is to call jamfHelper from a launch daemon. This post has some of that discussion:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=24

nkalister
Valued Contributor

I went with adding a package to my imaging configuration that runs a postflight script containing:

#!/bin/sh
## postflight
##
## Not supported for flat packages.

pathToScript=$0
pathToPackage=$1
targetLocation=$2
targetVolume=$3

## Lock down the login window 
/usr/sbin/jamf launchJAMFHelper -path '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app'

I set the package to run at reboot and gave it a priority of one. That reliably puts up the standard JAMF curtain screen during the firstboot portion of imaging.

msample
Contributor II

This worked out to be a super solution for me also. This is what the script looks like when packaged and placed at the root. This was applied to OS 10.10.2.

5fffabb37f4749f2893003973cc15aa0