Error Deploying 10.8 with InstallESD

tsd25108
New Contributor II

So here's my situation. I'm running a 10.7.4 Netboot server with a 10.8 NetBoot set and am trying to deploy 10.8 by importing the InstallESD.dmg and tagging it as an OS X installer. Every time I try and image a MacBook Pro with it I get the following error in the casper imaging log thats reported by the installer:

Command line installs of OS X are not supported on systems older than 10.8

The netboot is 10.8 so I can't see why it's giving me that error. Any thoughts?

Edit: It's a Late 2008 MacBook Pro so it should be supported.

7 REPLIES 7

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

To get this to work it must be done on a 10.8 machine doesn't have to be local just 10.8. I would just copy CA to a local client with 10.8 and then connect. Copy it up and mark it that way. It should work just fine.

tsd25108
New Contributor II

Ok, I tried this originally from my MacBook Air, but I know that sometimes issues can arise from using them, so I'm going to try it on my Mac Mini and see if that works correctly.

tsd25108
New Contributor II

Still getting the error even after loading 10.8 fresh on a mac mini, downloading a fresh copy of 10.8 from the app store, and then uploading the InstallESD.dmg to Casper via Casper Admin on the same Mac Mini running 10.8.

Matt
Valued Contributor

Having the same issues.

Matt
Valued Contributor

I found out what my problem was. It was something funky with CasperAdmin. Basically, I had a dmg... something.dmg and I erased it and replaced it with a compiled installedesd named something.dmg. Even though I saved it didn't work until I quit Casper Admin a few times then all the sudden it worked.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Hi Matt

I used InstaDMG to create my image which is fine because I don't want the recovery partition.

I'm interested in the compile methood to install Java etc because our CEO now and again brings in his personal machine for me to rebuild! Is compiling straight for with InstallESD.dmg + updates?

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Please vote for thie feature request to get JAMF official support for InstallESD method.
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=606