Location information resetting

wdfraser
New Contributor

Location information is being reset to blank values when imaging with 8.6 or applying a quickadd package to a machine that is already in the inventory. Has anyone else noticed this, or know of a way to disable the location information being reset?

12 REPLIES 12

mrshultz
New Contributor

I'm having the same Issue

tinsun
New Contributor II

Ditto… However, it changes "building" to a real value, but a different one than the one I had already given it.

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

I am seeing the same problem and have not been able to track down a fix or a workaround for it yet.

Anyone else figure out how to get around this problem?

Edit: I'm also seeing this happen when a machine updates its inventory.

john_miller
Contributor

Hello!

Version 8.6 released a new feature that will do an LDAP lookup with every inventory submission. With environments that utilize LDAP, this helps keep continuity between what is in LDAP and what is listed in the JSS (e.g. an end user changes departments, or a new phone number, etc).

We can turn off this functionality by going to Settings->Inventory options->Inventory Collection Preferences->Location and unchecking the box there.

Does that change the behavior you're seeing?

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

I've been playing a bit since I first saw this problem. It seems like the jamf enroll command is removing all information from the JSS, then reapplying it. In my case, the network segment has multiple types of machines in it, so there is no default department to use when repopulating the location information.

Is there any specific reason why the enroll command removes this information and is it something that can be changed?

tinsun
New Contributor II

Hello Mr. Miller!

Unfortunately not, the box was already unchecked…

Good find with the enroll command, Mr. Scott.

bajones
Contributor II

Same issue with jamf enroll. I find it happens only on certain subnets here. I double checked our JSS and none of our defined network segments have any defaults regarding building or position and the override box is unchecked. Really strange issue.

ernstcs
Contributor III

You might like to vote this one up then:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=778

tinsun
New Contributor II

Bump.

ernstcs
Contributor III

Why the bump? It's a known issue, non-issue, meaning the enroll command is doing what it was designed by JAMF to do. However, it's doing what it is designed to do at times others don't want it to do what it's suppose to do. I was never told a defect ID because it was both a defect and not a defect. It was the most bizarre thing. =D

tinsun
New Contributor II

The bump was because Mr. John Miller asked us to check a thing that might solve the "problem", but it did not, at least not in our case. Also, it seems quite odd that it doesn't happen on all subnets, just like bajones says…
And I did vote on the above link. ;)

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

I have noticed that with 8.6, it is resetting the Location information and the PO Date back to N/A.

I voted up on your feature request.