Remove an Apple Update Server

DeanaE
New Contributor

I have computers that have been imaged on one of my network segments that has an Apple Update Server but are now on a different network segment. Now that they are on the new segment without the Apple Update server they still try to find the server when updates are needed and are unable to connect. How can I remove that from those machine and direct them back to Apples Update Server?

2 REPLIES 2

ernstcs
Contributor III

Run the following against the systems in Casper Remote.

/usr/sbin/jamf runSoftwareUpdate -fromApple -systemWide

That should do the trick on the clients immediately. Not quite sure what will linger if a specific software update server is set in their inventory record. I know that you can mass set an inventory search result to a new server that you have added as a server in the JSS, but that would mean you'd need to add Apple's server to your JSS as an option. I can't quite recall an option to set back to default, Apple.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
sudo jamf removeSWUSettings

resets the Macs back to Apple's servers. You have to make sure there is no Software Update server defined in their network segment or next time they pull down management settings they will get pointed back to a non existent server.