#JNUC Zen and the Art of Packaging

sam
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

If you think Composer is the best thing to hit packaging since cardboard, then you must attend this session. It is scheduled at 2:15 - 3:15 on Thursday during the JAMF Nation User Conference. Zen and the Art of Packaging is directed to a vast audience, and will include everything from the basic concept of packaging to expert tips and tricks. The intention of this session is to give you the fundamental knowledge to become a master of your domain when it comes to packaging operating systems, installers, updates, settings and more.

It promises to be a calm and relaxing end to a week filled with excellence.

If this session sparks your interest, I will be checking the thread regularly before the session for any questions or topic requests.

4 REPLIES 4

sam
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Thank you for a wonderful JNUC!

Here are the slides for the session:

http://goo.gl/E4wgv

itsadmin-sully
New Contributor

I was unable to attend this session. Is there video of it?

Thanks,

Shane

sam
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Sorry, this session was not in a recorded room. All that we have are the slides, available above. Please feel free to ask any specific questions that you may have, and I can try and answer them in this thread.

Be sure to vote this session up next year. If demand calls for it, we may see it on the roster again.

dgraham125
New Contributor

One thing of the packaging that wasn't covered was troubleshooting. I have used packages to troubleshoot existing software issues, or installation and registration issues on new software. If you open Casper Admin and sign in, hide the application. Mounted on your desktop (if you have this enabled) is the Casper share where completed packages are. If you saved them as disk images (.dmg files), you can mount those and examine the file structure to see where all of the pieces go. This is useful for finding preference files and/or license files if you need to delete or redo components of an installation.

Alternatively, I have created a package in Composer for the sake of seeing where files go during installation. This shows hidden files, and is useful as some of the hidden files may need to be deleted to fix the original software issue on a production computer.