Master/Replica design on AWS + Regional Local Endpoints

grahamclark
New Contributor

Hello all,

This is my first post on JAMF Nation (awesome!) and I have a design question regarding JSS + AWS (Amazon Web Services). We're a company of globally distributed Mac users and soon deploying CasperSuite. We have Mac Mini servers around the world ready to serve as Casper Endpoints however I was wondering if anyone had any experience with AWS acting as a Master or Replica. If so:

1. Is AWS overkill?
  2. Any known issues?
  3. Is a multi-master configuration on AWS syncing to a colo machine a good idea?
  4. Would a master residing on a machine behind a firewall VPN tunneling to an AWS Master or Replica be a good route?

Any feedback or thoughts are much appreciated!

Graham

external image link

4 REPLIES 4

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Sorry, but what's AWS?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Sorry Again... Replied to post from the email without seeing the image.

AWS is an amazon cloud hosting solution right?

grahamclark
New Contributor

Yes, Amazon Web Services! : )

dmarcnw
New Contributor III

You can get away with using a micro EC2 instance and use S3 for package distribution. You'd have to consider being very strict on which ports you have open to the offices. If you just want your clients to access your JSS in the office and not from the web, set your security group to only allow the needed ports listed on JAMF's site.

If you plan on allowing clients outside of your offices to access the JSS, you'll need to do a full security analysis to make sure you aren't opening yourself to anything bad.

In the last 48 hours, we've been looking at this model but have some things we need to address first.