VMware Fusion 5 packaging?

Fjord
New Contributor

Hello.

I noticed that the existing Guideline to package VMware is not up to date to the latest version 5.
Can anybody tell me how version 5 is packed via Composer?

Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Right-Click on the VMware Fusion.app and goto /Contents/Library/ and grab the Deploy VMware Fusion.mpkg. Drop your pre-built vm and VMware Fusion.app into the 00Fusion_Deployment_Items and edit the Deploy.ini file. That's pretty much it. You won't even have to repackage it with Composer.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Right-Click on the VMware Fusion.app and goto /Contents/Library/ and grab the Deploy VMware Fusion.mpkg. Drop your pre-built vm and VMware Fusion.app into the 00Fusion_Deployment_Items and edit the Deploy.ini file. That's pretty much it. You won't even have to repackage it with Composer.

Fjord
New Contributor

Thanks. That worked for me here.
Funny thing about this: Self Service provide the information: Installation failed.
But the Log Details show: Successfully installed "Deploy VMware Fusion TEST.mpkg".

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

What does the log say?

Fjord
New Contributor

[STEP 2 of 3]
Copying Deploy VMware Fusion.mpkg...
Installing Deploy VMware Fusion.mpkg...
Successfully installed Deploy VMware Fusion.mpkg.
Unmounting file server...
[STEP 3 of 3]
Running Recon...

Fjord
New Contributor

After following again the guideline from http://www.jamfsoftware.com/libraries/pdf/white_papers/VMware_and_CasperSuite.pdf it now return successfully in the Self Service.

Once again,

Thanks

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Really VMWare??? The downloaded installer is an *.app???

I guess VMWare is taking their cue from Adobe..."Let them pesky Mac Admins do our job, we don't want to work, we just want our paycheck."

Thanks Allen, wasn't aware of that tip. Seems a bit like the Parallels Auto Deploy wrapper PKG. Hopefully it'll be as reliable. :)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

ArielN
New Contributor

Hi Allen,

I'm adding Vmware Fusion 5 with Windows 7 into SelfService, can you post your work-flow in how you got this VM to work.
Do i need this: http://www.jamfsoftware.com/libraries/pdf/white_papers/VMware_and_CasperSuite.pdf

Thanks,
ArielN

maiksanftenberg
Contributor II

Hi Ariel,

You could deploy both with one Policy.
VMware will be installed with the mpkg. We add the virtual machine via a DMG that we have created via Composer (via Drap and Drop).

Under Contents/00Fusion_Deployment_Items/Dekstop.ini change the [Virtual Machines] section to your image/VM that you created via Composer.

Cheers

ArielN
New Contributor

Hi Maik.Sanftenberg,

I am new to this, can you show me your work flow because i can't get my to work.
How do i handle the license?

Do i need to follow this direction?http://www.jamfsoftware.com/libraries/pdf/white_papers/VMware_and_CasperSuite.pdf
Thank You,
ArielN

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

No man page for vmrun tool, but options come up by invoking...

**$ /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmrun -?**

vmrun version 1.12.1 build-1040386

Usage: vmrun [AUTHENTICATION-FLAGS] COMMAND [PARAMETERS]

AUTHENTICATION-FLAGS

These must appear before the command and any command parameters. -h <hostName> (not needed for Fusion) -P <hostPort> (not needed for Fusion) -T <hostType> (ws|fusion) -u <userName in host OS> (not needed for Fusion) -p <password in host OS> (not needed for Fusion) -vp <password for encrypted virtual machine> -gu <userName in guest OS> -gp <password in guest OS> POWER COMMANDS PARAMETERS DESCRIPTION -------------- ---------- ----------- start Path to vmx file Start a VM or Team [gui|nogui] stop Path to vmx file Stop a VM or Team [hard|soft] reset Path to vmx file Reset a VM or Team [hard|soft] suspend Path to vmx file Suspend a VM or Team [hard|soft] pause Path to vmx file Pause a VM unpause Path to vmx file Unpause a VM SNAPSHOT COMMANDS PARAMETERS DESCRIPTION ----------------- ---------- ----------- listSnapshots Path to vmx file List all snapshots in a VM [showTree] snapshot Path to vmx file Create a snapshot of a VM Snapshot name deleteSnapshot Path to vmx file Remove a snapshot from a VM Snapshot name [andDeleteChildren] revertToSnapshot Path to vmx file Set VM state to a snapshot Snapshot name GUEST OS COMMANDS PARAMETERS DESCRIPTION ----------------- ---------- ----------- runProgramInGuest Path to vmx file Run a program in Guest OS [-noWait] [-activeWindow] [-interactive] Complete-Path-To-Program [Program arguments] fileExistsInGuest Path to vmx file Check if a file exists in Guest OS Path to file in guest directoryExistsInGuest Path to vmx file Check if a directory exists in Guest OS Path to directory in guest setSharedFolderState Path to vmx file Modify a Host-Guest shared folder Share name Host path writable | readonly addSharedFolder Path to vmx file Add a Host-Guest shared folder Share name New host path removeSharedFolder Path to vmx file Remove a Host-Guest shared folder Share name enableSharedFolders Path to vmx file Enable shared folders in Guest [runtime] disableSharedFolders Path to vmx file Disable shared folders in Guest [runtime] listProcessesInGuest Path to vmx file List running processes in Guest OS killProcessInGuest Path to vmx file Kill a process in Guest OS process id runScriptInGuest Path to vmx file Run a script in Guest OS [-noWait] [-activeWindow] [-interactive] Interpreter path Script text deleteFileInGuest Path to vmx file Delete a file in Guest OS Path in guest createDirectoryInGuest Path to vmx file Create a directory in Guest OS Directory path in guest deleteDirectoryInGuest Path to vmx file Delete a directory in Guest OS Directory path in guest CreateTempfileInGuest Path to vmx file Create a temporary file in Guest OS listDirectoryInGuest Path to vmx file List a directory in Guest OS Directory path in guest CopyFileFromHostToGuest Path to vmx file Copy a file from host OS to guest OS Path on host Path in guest CopyFileFromGuestToHost Path to vmx file Copy a file from guest OS to host OS Path in guest Path on host renameFileInGuest Path to vmx file Rename a file in Guest OS Original name New name captureScreen Path to vmx file Capture the screen of the VM to a local file Path on host writeVariable Path to vmx file Write a variable in the VM state [runtimeConfig|guestEnv|guestVar] variable name variable value readVariable Path to vmx file Read a variable in the VM state [runtimeConfig|guestEnv|guestVar] variable name VPROBE COMMANDS PARAMETERS DESCRIPTION --------------- ---------- ----------- vprobeVersion Path to vmx file List VP version vprobeLoad Path to vmx file Load VP script 'VP script text' vprobeLoadFile Path to vmx file Load VP file Path to VP file vprobeReset Path to vmx file Disable all vprobes vprobeListProbes Path to vmx file List probes vprobeListGlobals Path to vmx file List global variables GENERAL COMMANDS PARAMETERS DESCRIPTION ---------------- ---------- ----------- list List all running VMs upgradevm Path to vmx file Upgrade VM file format, virtual hw installTools Path to vmx file Install Tools in Guest deleteVM Path to vmx file Delete a VM Examples: Starting a virtual machine with Workstation on a Windows host vmrun -T ws start "c:my VMsmyVM.vmx" Stopping a virtual machine on an ESX host vmrun -T esx -h https://myHost.com/sdk -u hostUser -p hostPassword stop "[storage1] vm/myVM.vmx" Running a program in a virtual machine with Workstation on a Windows host with Windows guest vmrun -T ws -gu guestUser -gp guestPassword runProgramInGuest "c:my VMsmyVM.vmx" "c:Program FilesmyProgram.exe" Running a program in a virtual machine with Server on a Linux host with Linux guest vmrun -T server -h https://myHost.com:8333/sdk -u hostUser -p hostPassword -gu guestUser -gp guestPassword runProgramInGuest "[standard] vm/myVM.vmx" /usr/bin/X11/xclock -display :0 Creating a snapshot of a virtual machine with Workstation on a Windows host vmrun -T ws snapshot "c:my VMsmyVM.vmx" mySnapshot Reverting to a snapshot with Workstation on a Windows host vmrun -T ws revertToSnapshot "c:my VMsmyVM.vmx" mySnapshot Deleting a snapshot with Workstation on a Windows host vmrun -T ws deleteSnapshot "c:my VMsmyVM.vmx" mySnapshot Enabling Shared Folders with Workstation on a Windows host vmrun -T ws enableSharedFolders "c:my VMsmyVM.vmx" **$**
--
https://donmontalvo.com