SoftwareUpdate hangs via Casper on iTunes 10.6 Update

buckychappell
New Contributor II

We have a Reposado ASU instance, and are having trouble with 10.6.8 machines installing the latest iTunes (ID# zzzz041-9792) via startup-triggered policy. SoftwareUpdate hangs, and our JAMFHelper interruptor never gets a chance to time-out and end the session.

Curiously, this installs perfectly if Software update is run in the GUI, or in Terminal via SoftwareUpdate -i -a.

Here's the trailing entries from a typical install.log:

Mar 4 07:07:29 ml-machinemcc Software Update[413]: PackageKit: Extracting
file://localhost/Library/Updates/zzzz041-9792/CoreFPDelta.pkg
(destination=/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++/Cleanup At
Startup/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root, uid=0)
Mar 4 07:07:31 ml-machinemcc Software Update[413]: PackageKit: Extracting
file://localhost/Library/Updates/zzzz041-9792/iTunesXPatch.pkg
(destination=/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee
++++/Cleanup At
Startup/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root, uid=0)
Mar 4 07:07:33 ml-machinemcc Software Update[413]: PackageKit: Patching
Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/iTun
esHelper

This looks like an old iTunes install issue we had before with Apple Software
Update on 10.6;
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3871036?start=0&tstart=0

We've presently taken the update out of distribution, so any advice would be awesome.
Thx

Eric 'Bucky' Chappell
2 REPLIES 2

perweilerg
New Contributor III

We are having the same issue. I was able to push iTunes updates previously, but the 11.0.2 and 11.0.3 have both timed out via Casper when installing to 10.6.8 clients. The update works fine on 10.7 and 10.8 clients. We have recently upgraded to a 10.8 ASUS, so I am not sure if that is the issue or not. We are on Casper 8.62

I do not have a fix, but I wanted to let you know you are not alone.

j99mac
Contributor

I am getting a similar error. We are also running a 10.8.5 ASUS and pushing out updates va Casper.

The error are something like Installing 2014-07-21 10:40:50.339 softwareupdate[61412:5323] PackageKit: Missing bundle path, skipping: <bundle id="com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX"></bundle>
and Downloading iTunes Package failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (SUSessionErrorDomain error 3.)

Has anyone found a fix to this the issue that I am seeing where it seems that ASUS is having an issue sending out a QuickTime Update?