Google Earth v7.1 - Deployment via Policy or SelfService

fabian_ulmrich
Contributor

Hi guys,

first of all thanks for having something like JAMF Nation, I really appreciate. That is my very first discussion, I LIKE :)

I am trying to deploy Google Earth v7.1 via Policy or SelfService but it always crashes. Tried composing my own .pkg as well as .dmg - did not work. Also tried using the Pre-Installed Software feature of composer - did not work. Google Earth is always crashing either because of this "ksadmin" thingy or because any other folder access problems.

My situation - running Mac OS 10.8.4 clients bound to an Active Directory. We're mapping the UNC path to have full access priviliges to the users home folder. No local accounts are created on those machines, so everything important for the user is comping from it's homefolder via UNC mapping.

Any ideas or experiences with that? I just found some articles about Google Chrome and it seemed to be very similar to me, but everything I found here, did not work. May be I missed something...hopefully!

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Fabian

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

Are you installing over any previous versions of Google Earth? If so, are you uninstalling them first?

Are you trying to capture any preferences within GE, such as a custom start location/view?

Does this same package work if you log in as a normal local user instead of a mapped home folder? Are the home folders mounted via SMB or AFP? (Doubt that one will matter.)

fabian_ulmrich
Contributor

Hi pete_c

Thanks for your response. There are no previous versions installed and I do not capture any prefs with it. Everything is set to default. The package is installed correctly But when I launch the applications it's mostly the 'ksadmin' from ~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/MacOS which can't run without administration rights and it doesn't prompt me for specific permissions. I tried to solve this described in https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4692 but that didn't work. Home folders are mounted via AFP.

pearlin
New Contributor III

I'm also having trouble with the 7.1 installer. I have it scoped via smart group to upgrade clients not running 7.1, but the smart group never clears as the newly installed version shows 7.0. Also, 7.1 doesn't work with Network Home folders. Found that out the hard way and had to downgrade to an earlier version for our classrooms.