unlockAddPrinter.sh

Sylar
New Contributor

I was wondering if anyone in the community had my answer, I have recently downloaded the unlockAddPrinters.sh and wanted to run it on multiple computers (I work at a school). I just can't seem to set it up right. The OS that I am running is 10.7.4 on Macbooks.
Please reply A.S.A.P.

Script:

#!/bin/sh
####################################################################################################
#
# Copyright (c) 2010, JAMF Software, LLC. All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
# Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
# documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
# * Neither the name of the JAMF Software, LLC nor the
# names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
# derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC "AS IS" AND ANY
# EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
# DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
# DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
# (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
# LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
# ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
# (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
# SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#
####################################################################################################
#
# SUPPORT FOR THIS PROGRAM
#
# This program is distributed "as is" by JAMF Software, LLC's Resource Kit team. For more
# information or support for the Resource Kit, please utilize the following resources:
#
# http://list.jamfsoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/resourcekit
#
# http://www.jamfsoftware.com/support/resource-kit
#
# Please reference our SLA for information regarding support of this application:
#
# http://www.jamfsoftware.com/support/resource-kit-sla
#
#
# ABOUT THIS PROGRAM
#
# NAME
# unlockAddPrinters.sh -- Unlock the security restriction for standard users' ability to add printers
#
# SYNOPSIS
# sudo unlockAddPrinters.sh
# sudo unlockAddPrinters.sh <mountPoint> <computerName> <username> <locked>
#
# If the $locked parameter is specified as true or false (in parameter 4), this is the setting
# that will be set.
#
# If no parameter is specified for parameter 4, the hardcoded value in the script will be used.
#
# DESCRIPTION
# This script unlocks or locks the system preference authorization to allow or disallow users to
# add printers, as reflected in the Print & Fax System Preference pane. It has been designed to # function on Mac OS X 10.5.7, when the restriction first appeared.
#
# The locked/unlock value will be set according to the value specified in the paramter $locked. # It can be used with a hardcoded value in the script, or read in as a parameter. Since the # Casper Suite defines the first three parameters as (1) Mount Point, (2) Computer Name and # (3) username, we are using the forth parameter ($4) as the passable parameter. If no parameter
# is passed, then the hardcoded value will be used.
#
#
# HISTORY
#
# Version: 1.0
#
# - Created by Cameron Evjen on June 11th, 2009
# - Modified by Nick Amundsen on June 11th, 2009
# - Modified by Nick Amundsen on August 4th, 2010
# -Added support for directory service accounts
#
#
# DEFINE VARIABLES & READ IN PARAMETERS
#

# HARDCODED VALUE FOR "locked" IS SET HERE
targetVolume=""
locked="false"

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 3 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "targetVolume"
if [ "$1" != "" ] && [ "$targetVolume" == "" ]; then targetVolume=$1
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 4 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "locked"
if [ "$4" != "" ] && [ "$locked" == "" ]; then locked=$4
fi

# # SCRIPT CONTENTS - DO NOT MODIFY BELOW THIS LINE
#
# Get the major version of the OS and format it in an acceptable form for shell scripting
OS=/usr/bin/defaults read /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion ProductVersion | awk '{print substr($1,1,4)}'

if [[ "$OS" < "10.5" ]]; then echo "This machine is not running Mac OS X 10.5.7 or higher, and therefore does not need this script to unlock the setting."
else # Get the minor version of the OS in a format acceptable to evaluate in shell scripting OS=/usr/bin/defaults read /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion ProductVersion | awk '{print substr($1,4,4)}' if [[ "$OS" > "5.6" ]]; then case $locked in "false" | "FALSE" | "no" | "NO") echo "Adding everyone group to the Printer Administrators group..." /usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a everyone -t group lpadmin;; "true" | "TRUE" | "yes" | "YES") echo "Removing everyone group from the Printer Administrators group..." /usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -d everyone -t group lpadmin;; *) echo "Error: The parameter 'locked' is blank or is set to an invalid value. Please specify a valid value such as YES, yes, TRUE, true, NO, no, FALSE, false." esac else echo "This machine is not running Mac OS X 10.5.7 or higher, and therefore does not need this script to unlock the setting." fi
fi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

waderobson
New Contributor III

sudo sh <then drag>

enter local admin PW. You won't have that problem when running from casper though because scripts run as root.

Sounds like sudo is missing..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

waderobson
New Contributor III

whats this script? you should post it I think.

Sylar
New Contributor

Ok editing my original post.

waderobson
New Contributor III

are you getting any feedback in the policy? as to why its failing?

Based on what I see I would guess you need to change the group lpadmin to _lpadmin

here: /usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a everyone -t group _lpadmin

see
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3864095?start=0&tstart=0

waderobson
New Contributor III

are you getting any feedback in the policy? as to why its failing?

Based on what I see I would guess you need to change the group lpadmin to _lpadmin

here: /usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a everyone -t group _lpadmin

see
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3864095?start=0&tstart=0

Sylar
New Contributor

Yes, there is some feedback. Whenever I try to run the application in terminal using: sh then dragging the file into terminal and hitting return it says Adding everyone group to the Printer Administrators group...
Username and password must be provided. Then when I check System Preferences the add printer selection still requires an administrator password. Also there is no place to enter a username and password into terminal.

waderobson
New Contributor III

sudo sh <then drag>

enter local admin PW. You won't have that problem when running from casper though because scripts run as root.

Sounds like sudo is missing..