Casper Suite 8.61 > 8.73 update warning

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi guys,

FYI just did the 8.73 update on my 8.61 server & it blew out my /Library/JSS/Tomcat/conf/server.xml file.

Which screwed the certificates installed in my JSS & broke client communication.

Back it up 1st or make sure you have good notes..

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bentoms

Issue recreated by JAMF Support.

It was due to me stopping Tomcat BEFORE the update.

They are revising this behaviour for future.

But we all have backups of our custom server.xml right? RIGHT???

View solution in original post

barnesaw
Contributor III

If I understand correctly, do not stop Tomcat before running the installer...yes?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

tanderson
Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.

seabash
Contributor

We saw this happen when we upgraded our test JSS from 8.64 to 8.72, so probably not specific to 8.73. Once we confirmed the certs and keystore were in place, we then looked at server.xml file; it needed the correct keystoreFile (at /Library/JSS/Tomcat/keystore.jks) and keystorePass (our *ahem* plain text password). Restarted tomcat and Bob's yer uncle.

Our issue now is with Java JCE when upgrading from 8.72 to 8.73...

The 8.73 installer checks for Java at /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk<version>.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security/ — except that /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ is empty. But on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Server (which we're running) the path is actually, at /System/Library/Java/../BlahBlahBlah...

UPDATE:
Applying Security Update 2013-004 and rebooting our test JSS allowed the v8.73 installer to successfully complete (passed the Java JCE checks).

bentoms

Oddly didn't happen on BCP server. Oh well.

bentoms

Issue recreated by JAMF Support.

It was due to me stopping Tomcat BEFORE the update.

They are revising this behaviour for future.

But we all have backups of our custom server.xml right? RIGHT???

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@bentoms
So, besides backing up the server.xml file which is of course sound advice, what is the "proper" procedure to do this upgrade and not have this issue? Is JAMF revising the upgrade procedure to post a workaround? I guess I;m a little confused and would like to get some clarity for when we do our own 8.73 upgrade.

barnesaw
Contributor III

If I understand correctly, do not stop Tomcat before running the installer...yes?

bentoms

@mm2270 Pretty much what @barnesaw said.

I was being the "good admin" & quitting before installing which seemed to cause the issue.

I'm guessing with 8.74 it'll be fixed.

Only thing that was an issue with the update tbh.

Jpcorzo
Contributor

+1 on @mm2270 response. waiting on a 8.73 update from JAMF before I go ahead and upgrade

Jpcorzo
Contributor

+1 on @mm2270 response. waiting on a 8.73 update from JAMF before I go ahead and upgrade