How to enable web plugins to "Run in Unsafe Mode" in Safari 6.1

antoinekinch
New Contributor III

I currently deploy a Safari Whitelist for Safari 6.0.5 and under to enable Java for 4 VPN concentrator websites. With Safari 6.1, the Java plugin (version 7 update 40/45) is automatically set to "safe mode" which prevents the Juniper Network Connect VPN client from connecting. The workaround is to set each website's setting in Safari security preferences to "run in unsafe mode". is there a flag or way to script this so that users do not have to manually set each website's setting?

5 REPLIES 5

jconte
Contributor II

I am hoping there is a defaults write command or something. In addition to VPN and Java applets I am sure it will happen with Flash Player and other apps as well. I will post if I am able to find anything out.

antoinekinch
New Contributor III

The com.apple.Safari.plist for safari 6.1 has a key called ManagedPlugInPolicies. This is different than the WhitelistedBlockedPlugins. Any scripting ideas?

mpebley
New Contributor III

I just ran up against this today. I pretty much set the Java plugin itself in a Config policy (using mcxtoprofile) to run in Unsafe Mode. Every attempt to set a specific site (our vpn) to run in unsafe mode was reset or disappeared from the browser setting for some reason. So still researching tonight. I can't wait until we switch to Junos Pulse!

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

@mpebley I'm doing exactly what you're talking about with MCX.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8789

mpebley
New Contributor III

Nice write up - yep that works too. Since I don't have externally exposed JSS - elected to use the Config Profile which can reach my external users (after all they couldn't get onto VPN in first place) to receive the update