Downgrade Safari 6.1 to Safari 6.0.5

antoinekinch
New Contributor III

Hello all,

Has anyone figured out a way to uninstall Safari 6.1 and roll back to Safari 6.0.5 cleanly?

I have tried:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Safari.app
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Safari.framework

But then if I try to install Safari 6.0.5 over this it crashes. There must be additional files to remove. Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

nessts
Valued Contributor II

probably should use pkgutil to remove the receipts.
are you trying to do this in your environment or just on one machine? I would just re-image in about 5 minutes instead of trying to figure this out for one machine :)

dhough
New Contributor

I am also in this same situation. Safari 6.1 is currently incompatible with our version of Juniper Network Connect, and I'm having some remote users unable to connect via VPN.

paulaust
New Contributor

We are in the same boat as we use Juniper as well. There is a work around though. You can set Java to un in Unsafe mode. To do this manually, go into Safari Preferences, Security, Manage Website Settings, Select Java, Then visiting other websites, Run in Unsafe Mode. Trying to figure out a way to script this or make the change to MCX now. Unfortunately, its also a per user setting.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

@bajankinch @paulaust Automated:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8789

antoinekinch
New Contributor III

I was able to index the Safari 6.1 installer and uninstall Safari 6.1 and reinstall Safari 6.0.5. After reboot the whitelist was added back and the Java plugin was enabled!

teknikal35
New Contributor III

ricrac
New Contributor

Trying to figure out how to get rid of 6.1 and go back to 6.0.5 understand bajankinch has done it. but……I'm not a techie-- just an old lady, not raised with computers and has had to self-teach . Up until recently, I did pretty good but recently nothing but problems.

I'd really appreciate a layman's -- or laywoman's-- step by step instructions how to do it.
I'd go back to OSX 10.6.8 if I could too. It seems once I began upgrading from there, all the problems began. But…. I'll start by just dumping Safari 6.1 and see what that does. Please help.
Thank you.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

@bajankinch
Real quick... how did you "index" the Safari installer?