Steps to create JSS test environment

zmbarker
Contributor

JSS ver 8.62 is running on Windows Server 2008 R2

I currently do not have a "test environment" I just have the production JSS.
I want to create a test environment so I can at least test the 8.62 upgrade to 9.2

Has anyone attempted to copy their production VM to then use as a test environment? Any words of advice? Any documentation?

I assume if I just make a copy and bring the test environment online, there will be mass chaos as the clients won't know which JSS to talk to. So I know there has got to be a bunch of changes that will need to be made in the test environment, but I am not sure what they will be.

Ex: Must change the DNS name and IP

I know at JNUC 2013 there was a presentation by Jake Mosey and Zach Halmstad, but I am starting to get pressure from my superiors to get this upgrade going. I am not sure if I can wait until the presentation/video gets released.

6 REPLIES 6

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

If you are importing your JSS into a VM, you should be able to isolate your VM from the network long enough to change the DNS and IP address so that clients aren't confused. Another thing that you will need to consider, is that the JSS instance that you are testing with, was installed on a specific DNS name. In order to utilize a different FQDN, you're going to need to actually reinstall the JSS.

My suggestion would be to create a VM of your server and install a clean copy of 9.x JSS on it and use an export of your existing database to import into your VM. This will allow you to have all of your existing information in your 9.x JSS, even though your clients won't be reporting to it. From that point, you can change policies, enroll computers, etc.. Which should give you a good idea of what you're getting into.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a blank server OS with a new install of JSS 9.x and I will be attempting a couple of sneaky things that I want to be able to do with the JSS on it. I won't have a FQDN since I don't need to test outside of my LAN, but this is the path that I would recommend.

Hope this helps.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We've always had three JSS enviroments:

Dev > Test > Prod

Dev = latest and greatest version of JSS
Test = Matches Prod environment, for vetting
Prod = The live environment

I wonder if there's a feature request for making it easy(ier) to manage having multiple environments in place? Including rsyncing DP's between environments (Prod > Test and Prod > Dev), not the same as replication within a single environment.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Bhughes
Contributor
My suggestion would be to create a VM of your server and install a clean copy of 9.x JSS on it and use an export of your existing database to import into your VM. This will allow you to have all of your existing information in your 9.x JSS, even though your clients won't be reporting to it. From that point, you can change policies, enroll computers, etc.. Which should give you a good idea of what you're getting into. @Joseph.Morris

OK, this makes sense... but I have a stupid question... how do you prevent the clients from reporting to both prod and non-prod?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@Bhughes just because you restored your production data base to your test environment doesn't mean the devices will check in there. You will want your test environment to have a different URL than your production environment. Since the JSS URL is different the clients will check into your production and not your test unless you specifically enroll a client into your test environment. Hopefully my explanation makes sense.

Bhughes
Contributor

@mpermann thanks, good to know. We were very weary when setting up our non-prod, to the extent that we removed the scopes to all our config profiles, etc... which, in essence, made it worthless.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@Bhughes I personally haven't loaded our production database into our test environment. I simply have a small number of test machines to test some of the functionality. Probably not the best test environment to be honest, but as long as I can test the major things we use with a few systems them I'm relatively happy.