Adobe Photoshop CS6 Packaging

Jpcorzo
Contributor

I would like to get some advices in regards to how to properly package Adobe Photoshop CS6. I've tried multiple methods but all of them would give me an error.. here are my scenarios:

I've used AAMEE 3.1 to get the pkg file. I've uploaded it to Casper Admin, created the policy and when i run it i keep getting an error in regards:
nstalling Adobe Photoshop CS6_Install... Installation failed. The installer reported: dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable (/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Resources/runner) is setuid or setgid
installer: Package name is Adobe Photoshop CS6
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

I've tried both direct install or caching it first then install.. Both methods giving me the same error.

Next i tried using composer and taking a snapshot oh the Photoshop Install. I was able to package it but the license didn't go through even using FEU/FUT with the setup. Adobe keeps adding different restrictions that i think / assume are the main cause of why my package keeps failing (Adobe ID, and Adobe Application Manager).

Last run i had was to use AAMEE once again to get the installer with the license, then used composer to capture the installation. I was able to run it and install succesfully but after launching the application, it keeps saying the adobe application manager is crashing and cant validate the license.

Im running out of options now and not sure how's this going to work with future Adobe products. I've even tried packaging through CCP.

If you guys can shed me some light i would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

The problem we used to have with CS6 packaging was that it would look for certain running processes and fail out. It annoyingly did this at the end, I would watch the package install all of the files and then roll them all back.

We had to select the option (in AAMEE) that ignored running applications or something along those lines. Even having Safari open would cause it to fail otherwise.

deej
New Contributor III

First, check your AAMEE settings to ensure it will continue even if other processes are running, to disable Adobe AIR and to disable registration and updates.
Additionally, keep in mind that although it looks like a regular PKG from the outside, inside it's a big garbage-dump of files - dmgs, frameworks, symbolic links, etc. Downloading 1GB of a single flat PKG is much faster and more reliable than downloading 1GB of 100s of files of varying types and sizes. This is particularly true when you use SMB servers as your distribution points (ours are managed over SMB, but clients download over HTTP) - symbolic links don't survive being copied to an SMB share.
You can test this by installing the PKG manually. On the machine where you created the Adobe PKG, run the following in Terminal:
- sudo jamf install -package "MyAdobePackage.pkg" -path /path/to/pkg/ -target /

If this works on your freshly built Adobe PKG, then your issue is with getting it to your client machine(s) intact.
We've found there are two main ways to reliably deploy an AAMEE-created PKG - or any other PKG that uses a messy non-flat PKG format:
- Wrap the Adobe PKG in a flat PKG: Create a new package in Composer that places the Adobe PKG into /private/tmp. Add a postinstall script that runs: installer -target / -pkg /private/tmp/MyAdobePackage.pkg. Build it as a flat PKG.
- Use JAMF's "installPKGfromDMG.sh" script: You package the Adobe PKG into a DMG. You use a Policy's Cache Package function to put the DMG into Casper's Waiting Room. The script is an "After" script, which opens the DMG (name is passed in as a parameter), copies the PKG out and installs it. https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProductFile.html?id=3&fid=58

Using these methods to ensure the Adobe PKG arrives on the computer identically to how it was originally built, we've been deploying Adobe products quite reliably for the last few versions. Don't bother trying to install and snapshot Adobe products. Even if you get lucky and manage to capture working snapshots of individual products, you won't be able to install two snapshots together and have two working products. They share files and databases that AAMEE and its install logic knows how to handle, but you can't snapshot on an individual file basis.

lashomb
Contributor II
sudo jamf install -package "MyAdobePackage.pkg" -path /path/to/pkg/ -target /

Whenever I try this I get:

Error: The package (CS6_install.pkg) could not be found.

I'll try the flat package thing (weve been having issues too).

dexterrivera
New Contributor III

I think this is the same error I have run into a while back. I ended up resolving by adding a script to run before install. The script deletes the followng:

/library/application support/macromedia

kly
New Contributor

Jpcorzo the method you used is the same method i used just get to Adobe into Casper Admin to compile a big image.

"Next i tried using composer and taking a snapshot oh the Photoshop Install. I was able to package it but the license didn't go through even using FEU/FUT with the setup. Adobe keeps adding different restrictions that i think / assume are the main cause of why my package keeps failing (Adobe ID, and Adobe Application Manager).

Last run i had was to use AAMEE once again to get the installer with the license, then used composer to capture the installation. I was able to run it and install succesfully but after launching the application, it keeps saying the adobe application manager is crashing and cant validate the license."

After install the AAMEE created PKG you will also need to install the updated version of Adobe Application Manager which you can download from Adobe..
After doing this it should solve that application manager issue..

If you have already packaged the Photoshop package you will need to package the Adobe Application Manager software as a separate install.

Licensing Adobe
First u will need to create a Serialize File with AAMEE tool, this will create a prov.xml file
Download Adobe Provisioning Toolkit (adobe_prtk file)

Then you will need to place this file (prov.xml) and adobe_prtk file anywhere you like, preferable /Library/Application Support/AdobeSerialize/ or /Library/Application Support/JAMF/

If this can put these files into the package it will be recommended.. so you don’t have a lot of packages

And run this command as a post.. on startup… Please do test this command… if it exits 0… then you are all good
Example:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/AdobeSerialization/adobe_prtk --tool=VolumeSerialize --provfile=/Library/Application Support/JAMF/AdobeSerialization/prov.xml