Use of Apple Devices Soared in 2015; User Preference and Ease of Management Cited as Key Drivers
MINNEAPOLIS – Dec. 9, 2015 – As Apple raises the bar of what is possible with technology across all organizations, the Apple platform continues to see an uptick in adoption, with user preference as the leading driver. This is a key finding from the second annual global survey of IT professionals on Apple adoption across enterprise, K-12, and higher education organizations from JAMF Software, the leader in Apple device management.
Apple Continues to Score in the Enterprise
Apple devices are now an integral part of today’s enterprise environment. Nearly all enterprise IT professionals say that their internal teams support Mac (96 percent), iPad (81 percent), and iPhone (84 percent). Mac, iPad, and iPhone growth indicate increased usage of Apple devices in the enterprise because companies are looking for ways to increase productivity, reduce costs, and appeal to user preference.
IBM’s session at the 2015 JAMF Nation User Conference (JNUC) on its Mac@IBM program is a proof point for the widespread adoption of Apple in the enterprise. IT is seeing that less maintenance is needed for Macs. As cited during Apple’s Q4 earnings call, each Mac deployed by IBM is saving the company $270 compared to a traditional PC, thanks to reduced support cost and better residual value.
The adoption of Apple devices is driven by user demand. Survey findings attribute user preference as the number one reason for the increased adoption of Mac (81 percent) and iOS devices (84 percent). As organizations continue to implement user choice programs, more and more employees are choosing Apple devices for work because this is what they prefer in their everyday lives. Secondary factors driving Apple adoption in the enterprise include security advantages and increased productivity features, among others. IT professionals agree that Mac (75 percent) and iOS (82 percent) devices offer more security compared to other computer platforms.
Summary of Key Enterprise Survey Findings:
- More than 96 percent of companies support Apple
- Enterprise participants saw an increase in the usage of Mac (68 percent), iPhone (46 percent), and iPad (36 percent) in 2015
- 64 percent say that Mac is easier to manage than other computer platforms
- 67 percent report that Mac will cut into the PC share over the next three years
- 78 percent say that iPhone and iPad are easier to manage than other mobile device platforms
Apple Dominates Education Environments
Just as in the enterprise, Apple is the platform of choice for education. Over 90 percent of survey respondents affirm their schools or higher education institutions support the Apple platform. Growth of Mac and iPad devices in the classroom is attributed to Apple’s rich app ecosystem, overall appeal and user preference, native security features, and the reduction of overall costs associated with device maintenance.
Summary of Key Education Survey Findings:
- 94 percent of K-12 and 97 percent higher education organizations support the Apple platform
- K-12 education participants report they saw an increase in the usage of Mac (42 percent) and iPad (36 percent) in 2015
- Higher education participants report they saw an increase in the usage of Mac (57 percent) and iPad (29 percent) in 2015
- 67 percent of K-12 and 81 percent of higher education respondents say iPad is easier to manage than other platforms
To access a free copy of the reports, visit:
- Managing Apple Devices in the Enterprise
- Managing Apple Devices in K-12 Education
- Managing Apple Devices in Higher Education
This survey—conducted in September 2015—is based on the responses from nearly 500 Commercial, 500 K-12, and 300 higher education IT professionals, managers, and executives from small, medium, and large organizations around the world.
Comment on the News
“This research highlights what we at JAMF have been seeing for some time: user preference is driving the rise of Apple in enterprise and education,” said Dean Hager, CEO, JAMF Software. “While a lot of the attention of Apple’s success has been on its iOS devices, the survey results also show that Mac will continue to replace the PC at an unprecedented rate because it empowers users to be creative, productive, and happier in their jobs.”
About JAMF Software
Since 2002, JAMF Software has been solely focused on helping organizations succeed with Apple. JAMF is committed to enabling IT to empower end users and bring the legendary Apple experience to businesses, education, and government organizations via its Casper Suite and Bushel software, and the 26,000+ member JAMF Nation Community. Today, more than 6,000 global customers rely on JAMF to manage 5.2 million Apple devices. http://www.jamfsoftware.com